Thousands of people with profound and multiple learning disabilities cannot use standard accessible toilets. They need support from one or two carers to use the toilet or to have their continence pad changed. Standard accessible toilets do not provide changing benches or hoists. Most are too small to accommodate more than one person. Without Changing Places toilets, the person with disabilities is put at risk, and families are forced to risk their own health and safety by changing their daughter or son on a toilet floor.
Changing Places toilets are different to standard disabled toilets with extra features and more space to meet these needs. Each Changing Places toilet provides:
- The right equipment:
- A height adjustable adult-sized changing bench.
- A tracking hoist system, or mobile hoist if this is not possible.
- Enough space:
- Adequate space in the changing area for the disabled person and up to two carers.
- A centrally placed toilet with room either side for the carers.
- A screen or curtain to allow the disabled person and carer some privacy.
- A safe and clean environment:
- Wide tear off paper roll to cover the bench.
- A large waste bin for disposable pads.
- A non-slip floor…
Find the toilets and more information HERE